Tuesday, July 27, 2010

SWD Time Attack #2 at ZMax


The Street Wise Drift Series came back to ZMax Motorsportspark for their Round 6 of the ProAm Drift competition and held their second time attack. Once again the race weekend started earlier than normal with the arrival of a new R1- T Exhaust thanks to Exotic Speed and Dan from Assaultech and also a rear strut bar and air diversion panel from Mark at GTSpec. I took the new goodies to BRE Motorsports again and installed them and man was I suprised at how beautiful the both were and how perfect the fit was for each. The strut bar felt great and the exhaust sounded amazing and gave a noticeable gain on the top end after a quick reflash of the AP. After getting everything installed on Friday the event was finally here. For the first time at these events there seemed to be more racers than drifters and there was plenty of competition with good drivers and fast cars. After the drivers meeting and the parade lap the morning practice started around 10am. I was very familiar with the surface at ZMax since ive raced there so much and the course was also very similar to the previous course setup, fast and smooth with the addition of a 180 degree turn in after the crossover. After taking two runs in the morning and being only a couple tenths of a second behind the fastest lap I decided to park the car and save the tires some knowing I would have plenty of runs in the afternoon. After talking to a couple drivers about strategy around the course and eating lunch we began the afternoon session and our 5 timed runs. This session lasted from 1- 5pm and you could space out your 5 runs as much as you wanted. I chose to let the course warm up a little bit and then ran 3 runs back to back, adjusting tire pressures and trying a few different shifting points and lines. After the 3rd run I was 1st in Street Touring and 2nd overall for the day with my 71.254 so I decided to park the car and let the tires and brakes cool off. I then went up to the time tent and watched alongside Todd from SWD as Chris Ulman in his Street Touring Evo X beat my time with his 71.043 sec lap. After that I lowered the pressure of the tires slightly all the way around and went out on my 4th lap and had a slightl line error on the large sweeper and came through with a 71.587 sec lap, a far cry from my best lap and 1st place. On my fifth and final lap I the tires and brakes were up to temperature and I was ready to push the car as hard as I could. After pushing as hard as possible and driving the perfect line the GTSpec/ Assaultech/ Computech/ Exotic Speed #144 Infiniti G35 came through the timing lights with a 71.036 sec lap giving us the win in Street Touring and 2nd overal for the day behind Mike Licursi's Street Modifed S2000. Here is a video of a mixture of runs ending with the winning run.

No comments:

Post a Comment